Spirulina Face Mask Concoction
So today I read an article ‘Bath Bombing your Way to Health – Dr Sircus‘ about cell regeneration by a specific new “o2 carbon dioxide gel” that they are selling in Japan & Malaysia. The ‘all natural’ ingredients list was scary-looking:
The Mitate C3 CO2 Gel Mask consists of gel concentrate and micro-granulated powder. Both gel concentrate and fine micro-granulated powder are made with natural plant based ingredients. The gel concentrate consists of following: WATER,, , CHONDRUS CRISPUS (CARRAGEENAN), , CYAMOPSIS TETRAGONOLOBA (GUAR) GUM, ALGAE EXTRACT, GLYCYRRHIZA GLABRA (LICORICE) EXTRACT, , SACCHAROMYCES, CEREVISIAE EXTRACT, , PANAX ROOT EXTRACT, , , , VULGARIS EXTRACT, , The fine micro-granulated powder consists of following: , , SOLANUM TUBEROSUM (POTATO) STARCH, ,
But seeing the before and after shots of both the ones on the first website above and the website of testimonials on the seller website, I was motivated to create a face mask today 🙂
I looked up every ingredient and found that half are toxic, a quarter were just used for preservative reasons or thickeners, and the rest of the ingredients looked great, but unfortunately not very accessible (to me). So I decided to make my own concoction, taking on board the ingredients they used that I had access to in my bathroom and kitchen.. and created my own vitamin c / spirulina / manuka type of ‘good for skin’ goop. 🙂
- Almond Milk or Coconut Milk – I substituted by using Almond Meal (4 Tbsp) & Coconut Oil (2 Tbsp)
- is just Bicarb Soda (1 Tbsp)
- GLYCYRRHIZA GLABRA (LICORICE) EXTRACT – I substituted with Teabags that have the following ingredients: (44%), Fennel, Cinnamon, Orange Peel, Peel, , Cloves (1 Teabag)
- – I substituted with Arrowroot Tapioca Powder (1 Tbsp)
- ALGAE EXTRACT, , , CHONDRUS CRISPUS (CARRAGEENAN), are all Algae extracts, which I substituted for Spirulina powder (1 Tbsp)
- – I forgot to use this in mine – next time I’ll take a leaf of my Aloe Vera plant
- SOLANUM TUBEROSUM (POTATO) STARCH – I substituted by boiling a potato with the skin on and using the water (1/2 Cup+)
- – (2 tsp)
- – Not exactly a good substitute, but hope the peel / orange peel in my teabag will do here, I don’t have any and wouldn’t put it on my face if I did.
I also added a little (approximate measurements in brackets):
- Manuka Honey (2 Tbsp)
- (2 Tbsp)
- Seeds (4-5 Tbsp)
- Oatmeal (1/4 Cup)
- (1 Tbsp)
- Olive Oil (2 tsps)
- Castor Oil (1 tsp)
- Activated Charcoal (1/2 capsule)
- Cinnamon Powder (1 tsp)
Before mixing with the/potato starch water, the “goop” was really thick – would’ve been a beautiful gluggy mask, (sorry, forgot to take a photo) but I decided to just pour in the water and blend it up, and now it’s a runny mess. Next time I will use less water and add some aloe vera instead. So I made the correct decision in blending.. fantastic.. but it would’ve been 1000% better if I had’ve carefully added the water to keep the texture thicker & creamier rather than letting it go too watery.
Going to come back to this post at a later time and update all the goodies on why all those ingredients are good for the skin. And half my notes about the chemicals are on my other computer, so I’ll update in a couple of hours.
Although I’m fairly certain that this combination of ingredients would not need to be kept in the fridge, I’m unsure of the potato starch. Anyone know? So I’m just going to keep it in the fridge for now with today’s date on it (11th Feb 2014).
Update: The mask has been on for 2 hours ( I put it on when my nephew went to kinder, and now he’s back), it’s now completely dry on my skin. It came off very easily with a little bit of coconut oil and a microfibre towel. I can’t say I noticed anything dramatic.. nothing magic happened lol, and no dramas either. I guess I’ll see how it goes after using it for a longer period of time. I have no real complaints about my skin anyway, I’ve been really happy with my skin for the past few months (I no longer wear makeup to work). I just like the fact that we can “feed” our skin some good nutrients just as we feed our internal cells, and think it can’t hurt to give our cells and bodies largest organ some access to some more vitamins & minerals 🙂